Theoretical foundations of education with emphasis in the historical, legal, ethical, philosophical, and political areas. Emphasis on the intersection of legal, political, historical, social, and philosophical contexts of both areas. A field experience is required.
- Assess their underlying beliefs and values to clarify their own philosophy as a professional educator that would include legal and ethical issues.
- Integrate and apply their underlying beliefs to building a learning community.
- Examine historical events that influence candidates’ education philosophy.
- Describe the historical context of American education (i.e., the social and cultural condition of PK-12 schools).
- Examine the legal roles, protections, and responsibilities of members of the school community (i.e., teachers, teacher assistants, counselors, parents, and students).
- Evaluate policy formation in American Education with special attention to policy development at federal, state, and local governmental levels.
- Analyze the legal, political, and philosophical underpinnings of American Education.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.