The Student Teaching Seminar is designed to assess teacher candidates’ development as professional educators. Teacher candidates will be guided through their student teaching seminar to demonstrate their professional education competency by successfully completing a Professional Electronic Portfolio. The ePortfolio is aligned with the six Teaching Performance Expectation Domains cited in the Student Teaching Handbook. The Student Teaching Seminar Syllabus is designed for either an online or face-to-face (on-site) delivery mode. The online Threaded Discussion Topics and Assignments can be adapted for small or large group discussions within a face-to-face (on-site) classroom setting. When the delivery mode for this course is online, students must upload their artifacts/reflections in two places: 1) the Seminar Course electronic drop-box and 2) the ePortfolio (foliotex). Grading is by S or U only.
- Demonstrate how effective teachers make subject matter comprehensible for all students by demonstrating knowledge of the content and by using active student learning strategies.
- Demonstrate how effective teachers assess and interpret student learning by using appropriate assessment strategies.
- Describe how effective teachers engage and support all students in learning by focusing on the learner, adapting to learner diversity, and fostering effective communication in the learning environment.
- Demonstrate how effective teachers plan instruction by designing and providing meaningful learning experiences for all students.
- Describe how effective teachers create and maintain a positive and safe learning environment.
- Describe professional educators’ legal and ethical obligations that include how to foster positive parent and school community relationships.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.