Provides teacher candidates with background knowledge on how to ensure parity of treatment of students who differ in race, class, exceptionality, ethnicity, culture, gender, and religion. Teacher candidates must complete five hours observing and assisting within diverse classrooms in a public school classroom as directed by the instructor.
- Provide parity of treatment of pupils who differ in race, class, exceptionality, ethnicity, culture, gender, and religion.
- Understand diverse students and the communities to which they derive in terms of history, stereotyping, and common cultural and worldviews.
- Understand challenges and characteristics of successful teachers working with culturally diverse students.
- Create a learning environment of diverse learners that provides individual and group motivation and behavior.
- Develop instructional strategies that infuse diversity concepts into the teaching of course content.
- Develop effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication techniques for diverse learners.
- Plan and deliver lessons that infuse diversity concepts into course content.
- Gather classroom data and develop a classroom plan that includes rules, routines; procedures, and consequences that establish and support a positive learning environment for diverse students.
- Identify and incorporate the types, uses, and limitations of various assessment tools for diverse learners and formative and summative assessments in the designated content area to monitor student progress and modify educational experiences for diverse learners.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.