Includes content, methods, and materials for teaching mathematics and science in an integrated elementary classroom. Strategies for implementing and assessing student achievement will be introduced.
- Demonstrate the background and skills necessary to teach standards-based elementary math and science and to develop instructional materials so as to create a positive learning environment in the cross-cultural, linguistically diverse classroom.
- Acquire skills through inquiry, the scientific method, to foster the ability of students to evaluate information, think analytically, and reach sound conclusions.
- Acquire techniques to effectively use technology to access the core curriculum, integrate math and science across the curriculum, organize teaching, and investigate web resources.
- Identify a list of websites that could be used to enhance mathematics and science instruction and to integrate math and science across the curriculum.
- Properly identify students’ prior knowledge, select appropriate instructional objectives, and measure student progress.
- Compare and contrast formal and informal methods to assess students’ needs and achievements, as well as an awareness of cultural and linguistic limitations of assessment practices and instruments.
- Demonstrate classroom management strategies such as organizing and arranging a classroom, managing student work, and maintaining accountability as they relate to the teaching of mathematics and science.
- Recognize the importance of fostering positive self-esteem in all students by providing suitable reinforcement and feedback.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education