Intended for practicing teachers seeking a Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential, this course examines the psychological, sociological, linguistic, and political foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction. Candidates will survey theories and historical trends in literacy instruction through the study of past and present literacy leaders' contributions to the field. Included is an examination of state and federal involvement in literacy instruction.
- Critique psychological, sociological, political, and linguistic foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- Critique reading research and histories of reading by reading professional journals and publications and participating in conferences and other professional activities.
- Analyze the relationship between historical developments in reading and current practices.
- Analyze the state content for reading and writing standards for students P-12, and their relationship to instructional practices, and professional standards.
- Apply the theories of literacy development to improve instruction and other services to students.
- Evaluate state and federal legislation's impact on literacy instruction.
- Apply positive dispositions related to reading and the teaching of reading.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.