Foundations of Curriculum
This course surveys the field of curriculum with specific emphasis on foundations, principles, and issues for public educators in California's linguistically and culturally diverse society. The course identifies various approaches to curriculum and the development, design, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum. Application of curriculum approaches will be provided through student-designed analyses of curriculum.
- Identify and discuss the central foundations, principles, and issues for the field of curriculum–with specific expertise about linguistic and cultural diversity in California public education.
- Describe and discuss the relationship between curriculum, instruction, evaluation, and the resolution of planning, design and delivery problems.
- Design strategies for evaluating curriculum effectiveness: including curriculum alignment techniques, formative and summative evaluations, and norm-referenced, criterion-referenced,and authentic evaluations.
- Review research related to effective educational programs–perform and promote local curriculum research.
- Explain the inter-relatedness of curriculum design, instruction, curriculum alignment,teacher effectiveness, and school effectiveness.
- Interpret curriculum to public, peers, administrators, and others.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.