Examines culturally responsive and inclusive instruction through historical, sociological and psychological perspectives. Emphasizes the development of successful family and community involvement. Includes an overview of multicultural and multilingual curricula and inclusive approaches to teaching.
- Explore the historical perspective of cultural and linguistic diversity in the United States.
- Describe the nature of culture and gain an understanding of how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture.
- Research the nature of culture and gain an understanding of how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture.
- Identify the connections between language, culture, and education.
- Gain insight into race, class, gender and equity issues, factors interrelated with culture. Review their influence on learning environments and explore how current practices create barriers for some and opportunities for others.
- Explore the rationale, knowledge, skills, dispositions, and experiences needed to teach ethnically and linguistically diverse students.
- Identify methods of including parents and the community within the school setting in order to strengthen children's background and culture.
- Compare and contrast multicultural education and identify methods of integrating a multicultural perspective into teaching or other educational activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt instruction so that it becomes accessible to the children.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education