Diversity: Development & Ed.
Diversity: Development & Ed.
Focus on cultural pluralism and its impact on development and education in regards to teaching and learning strategies. Emphasis on self-examination, reflection, and integration of current processes involved in interactions and relationships in society.
- Develop effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication techniques and strategies for diverse learners
- Examine the differences between multicultural education and cultural pluralism
- Identify the benefits of a strong multicultural education program
- Develop strategies to involve all families in children’s development and learning
- Demonstrate professional standards and ethics
- List effective instructional strategies highlighting: review of previous work, presenting new content and skills, guiding child practice, keeping child on task, providing feedback and reviewing child’s work.
1. Candidates must identify their own cultural experiences, answering and discussing questions such as:
When did you first realize cultural differences?
How did your parents/caregivers communicate "culture" to you?
In what ways did your culture support/impede you from succeeding within the educational system?
2. Candidates must design a multicultural activity which supports cultural pluralism within the educational setting and demonstrate how to include this activity within the classroom setting … A lesson Plan …
3. Candidates must identify strategies to teach children with culturally pluralistic backgrounds how to successfully maneuver/function within the mainstream culture.
4. Candidates must keep a reflective learning journal. The journal offers candidates an opportunity to review their notes taken during class time, reflect on the newly acquired knowledge and experiences, and process time to consider how this knowledge and these experiences can apply to their professional and personal development.
5. Candidates must write four (4) knowledge abstracts of articles. Articles must be approved by the instructor.
6. Candidates must pass a final examination. Examination may consist of, but is not limited to, essay questions, multiple choice, matching or true or false questions.
7. Candidates writing must demonstrate mastery of standard written English. APA style and format must be followed.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.