An examination of content-area instruction for English language learners. Covers strategies that foster English Language Development (ELD) lesson development, adaptation, and delivery. Also covers Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE) and ‘instructional scaffolds’ as well as ‘instructional conversations’ to support ELD.
- Develop a repertoire of instructional strategies including SDAIE and CALLA. Become familiar with Vygotsky’s zone of proximal development, Bruner’s assisted performance, Goodman’s whole language, Trim and Van Ek’s threshold level of language as well as Tharp and Gallimore’s instructional conversation.
- Design activities that validate students’ own experiences while learning to communicate in English. Recognize the importance of fostering positive self-esteem in all students.
- Develop classroom modifications for language learners.
- Compare and contrast the interaction of language in the home and in the school.
- Recognize the effect of psychological, sociocultural and political factors that influence how the needs of English Language Learners are addressed.
- Critique the major types of attitudes and behaviors towards language and language variations.
- Acquire techniques to promote educational equity among students from diverse cultures, language, gender, ethnicity, and individuals with special needs.
- Acquire skills to foster the ability of students to evaluate information, think analytically, and reach sound conclusions.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education