This field-experience course is the fourth course of the Reading specialization course sequence. It serves to offer the candidate the opportunity to implement research-based theory, assessment, and instructional strategies with a diverse student population. Candidates must complete a field experience requiring assessment and instruction of students, including non-readers and English Language Learners. Candidates work with English Language Learners and struggling readers at early and intermediate levels in one-on-one, small group and whole class settings. The field experience component of this course is a supervised application of theoretical concepts in a practical setting.
- Select individualized informal literacy assessments for struggling readers at early or intermediate levels, including English language learners.
- Conduct an Action Research Proposal with recommendations for instructional interventions,based on data collected from individualized informal literacy assessments.
- Evaluate results of individualized informal and formal assessments in collaboration with parents.
- Support students through tutorial and whole-class language arts instruction for students experiencing difficulties, based on informal assessments.
- Defend plans for tutorial, small-group, and whole-class language arts instruction to principal and other school personnel, including assessment-based rationale.
- Integrate instructional technology into language arts instruction.
- Differentiate instruction based on language, cultural, and academic factors.
- Evaluate themselves using their field experience video recording on the basis of theories and principles of language arts/reading.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.