Develops the ability to assess the strengths and needs of students in reading, writing, and oracy through multiple measures. Includes classroom-based formal and informal, group and individual assessment. Also emphasizes assessment-based instruction, particularly early intervention strategies using flexible grouping, small groups, and one-on-one tutoring.
- Analyze the nature and purpose of reading/language arts assessment and its relationship to reading/language arts acquisition and cognition for speakers of English as a primary language and for English language learner (ELL).
- Examine a variety of formal and informal assessment used for assessment of literacy development and growth.
- Defend a plan to select, administer, score and interpret a battery of reading/language arts and learning measures including, where appropriate, data collected from allied professionals in the community.
- Analyze diagnostic data other than test scores which might influence student performance.
- Examine a variety of informal diagnostic strategies that tap the kind of real life reading tasks performed in and out of the classroom by all students.
- Evaluate test results from the assessment battery for the parents and/or guardians of the students and/or to the students.
- Create a personal assessment file/resource collection for use in ARL 647B and beyond.
- Select information from professional journals for use in ARL 647B settings, own classrooms and beyond.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.