Provides an investigation of meaning-making at both the local (discourse) and global (general knowledge) levels. Covers research-based models of discourse processing and representation construction. Introduces strategies to promote guided reading, independent reading, and study skills in all content areas, using the concepts of connecting background experience and applying self-monitoring strategies.
- Appraise the multiple effects that prior conceptual, textual, and linguistic knowledge have on comprehension, including the prior development of academic vocabulary and academic concepts.
- Assess current research on the relationship between prior knowledge and text cohesiveness.
- Compare instructional strategies for developing reading comprehension with the theoretical support underlying each strategy.
- Design effective instructional practices for teaching the developing reader, the struggling reader, and special needs students.
- Select effective strategies to teach an understanding of rhetorical pattern organization in narrative, expository, and electronic texts.
- Evaluate themselves on their ability to teach metacognitive learning skills through a process which leads to student independence in reading.
- Evaluate themselves on their skills in teaching higher-order critical thinking skills.
- Examine the role of ‘affect’ in comprehension and ‘stimulating interest’ in independent reading through appropriate motivational techniques.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education