This program is not accepting applications at this time.
The Master of Science in Special Education program at National University provides the knowledge and skills needed to successfully teach and impact the lives of students who have disabilities and special needs. This program explores the range of educational learning problems and applies the latest teaching strategies to enhance the performance of students, no matter their abilities.
The MS in Special Education is aligned with the Education Specialist Authorizations and standards of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Candidates may elect to obtain a California Teaching Credential in Special Education while completing their master’s degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competence in the application of research methods, including critiquing and synthesizing current educational literature.
- Demonstrate appropriate standards of conduct; practice within legal and ethical parameters.
- Develop skills to become a change agent and advocate for exceptional individuals, including diverse learners.
- Demonstrate an understanding of federal and state laws, legislation, and judicial decisions regarding exceptional individuals.
- Demonstrate competence in instructional design, including adaptations required to assist diverse special education learners achieve the state standards for curriculum.
- Demonstrate competence in positive behavioral support.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education