Dr. Yxstian Gutierrez
Dr. Yxstian Gutierrez is the Mayor of the City of Moreno Valley, 21st largest city of 210,000 residents and a full-time University Professor at National University. He was selected as Mayor on 12/1/2015 and sworn in on 12/17/2015 as the youngest Mayor.
Dr. Gutierrez serves as a Board of Director to the Renu Hope Foundation and the US Selective Service System as well as other regional boards.
He is a proud product of Moreno Valley Unified public schools – Armada Elementary, Landmark Middle, and Valley View High School. He graduated with AA/AS degrees from Moreno Valley College, and then graduated from California Baptist University with a Bachelors degree. He then attended the University of San Diego and Chapman University College to complete his teaching credentials and then a Masters degree from American Intercontinental University. In May 2013, Dr. Gutierrez completed his Doctorate degree by the age of 27. He then completed the Mayors/Council Members’ Academy; he is an alumnus of USC’s School of Price program in Executive Education in Public Policy and the Marshall School of Business Strategic Analysis certificate program. Recently, he completed two certificate programs at the University of London in Management/Leadership.
Dr. Gutierrez has over 20 years of combined teaching experiences. He has been a Special Education Resource Specialist Teacher for the past 14 school years with Moreno Valley Unified School District. Dr. Gutierrez has also taught 9 years with Moreno Valley College as an Associate Faculty. Mayor Gutierrez is now a full-time University Professor (Lead Faculty) within a region at National University – Sanford College of Education.
In Moreno Valley, he successfully owned Berrybean Café, coffee house/sandwich bar. He is also an active member of Sp. Ed. and teacher preparation groups including the National Association of Sp.Ed. Teachers.
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Voices for Children
- Renu Hope Foundation
- Gutierrez, Y. A.. (2014). An Accommodation for Learning Disabled Students: A Qualitative Case Study Approach. An Accommodation for Learning Disabled Students: A Qualitative Case Study Approach..
- Gutierrez, Y. A.. (2016). Summer at City Hall – Engaging Youth in Government. Western Magazine.
- Gutierrez, Y. A.. (2018). State of the City. Mayoral Remarks: State of the City.
- Gutierrez, Y. A.. (2013). Co-Teachers and Parents' Perceptions of Shortened Assignements for Learning Disabled Students. Dissertation.