Understanding Edu. Research
This course is designed to provide the student with the basic knowledge and skills required to read, interpret and evaluate both quantitative and qualitative educational research in order to determine if research results have implications for program, curriculum or instructional decisions.
- Critically evaluate published qualitative and quantatative research studies.
- Describe the common problems made when conducting educational research and how they can be avoided.
- Evaluate if there is evidence-based support for a particular teaching or intervention strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify appropriate research design for a particular research problem.
- Identify various test designs and the statistical analysis that the statistical analysis associated with that design.
- Explain the difference between qualitative, quantitative and action research and when each type is appropriate.
- Describe the ethical considerations and appropriate precautions involved with research on human subjects including the NU policy on research involving human subjects, the need for informed consent, student assent, and Institutional review Board approval.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the difference between population and sample and identify the characteristics of a sample that make it representative of the population.
- Demonstrate knowledge of validity and reliability, how each are established and what elements cause a threat to either.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and describe various types of variables.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various methods to collect data.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.