Examination of interpersonal and interactive techniques required of the special education teacher when working with parents and families of young children and students with special needs and other professionals. This course addresses the sharing of knowledge and mutual efforts between professionals and parents to effectively serve youngsters with special needs. Problem solving, decision making, and collaborative strategies for working with parents, professionals, and agencies when implementing services are explored. Field work is required.
- Identify, select and develop family resources at the local, state and national levels and examine for responsiveness to cultural and linguistic diversity.
- Integrate and apply knowledge of partnership principles when working with families and other professionals.
- Analyze and synthesize results of an in-depth Parent Interview including impact of cultural linguistic diversity, self-assessment of personal strengths and challenges. (Field Exp)
- Analyze and synthesize how federal and state mandates impact their ECSE or Autism or M/S program.
- Examine and describe the range ECSE or Autism or M/S service delivery models and the family’s role in each program.
- Analyze, synthesize and write a review of a first person account book about a child with a disability and the impact on the family. Apply the CEC Standards to the text and self reflect on how the text will impact your work with families.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education