This course provides candidates with knowledge in identifying students with mild/moderate disabilities and their needs for service delivery, placement, IEP development and instruction. Positive behavior support, learning strategies, study skills, instructional and behavioral support partnerships with parents and establishing positive environments are also covered. Candidates will recognize how mild/moderate disabilities affect students in their ability to learn the California core curriculum.
- Describe atypical development and characteristics of children and youths with mild/moderate disabilities and special needs in all categories covered by Federal Law in the Mild/Moderate disabilities;
- Integrate and apply knowledge of how the characteristics of mild/moderate learners affects learning the core curriculum;
- Coordinate and collaborate the comprehensive instructional program for students with mild/moderate disabilities using the core curriculum standards;
- Develop, implement and evaluate units of instruction from the elementary level based on IEP Goals that use evidence based curriculum and instruction;
- Develop, implement, and evaluate instruction from the secondary level based on IEP goals that use evidence based curriculum and instruction;
- Implement evidence based technology, when appropriate, in order for students with mild/moderate disabilities to access the core curriculum;
- Select general education core curriculum lessons to modify/adapt for students with mild/moderate disabilities to successfully access general education curriculum in the area of reading, writing and math.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.