An examination of the learning processes in educational settings addressing human motivation; development of children and youth in affective, cognitive, social, and personal domains; individual differences; and implications of theory and research for teaching and learning. (NV TL: BI, II)
- Describe either orally or in writing a comprehensive knowledge of typical and atypical development including prenatal state through adulthood, knowledge of development stages and their implications for learning.
- Identify major developmental theorists and characteristics representative of the major theories of human growth and development (cognitive, linguistic, social, and moral).
- Compare applications of psychology to education by theoretical framework.
- State influences of cultural factors and practices on child development.
- State and describe skills needed to provide information to family members on typical developmental expectations/impact of disability on developmental progress.
- Demonstrate skills needed to ensure that the intervention/instructional environment is appropriate to each student’s specific chronological age, developmental differences, disability, and other special needs.
- Define learning through an examination the major learning theories (Behaviorism, Information-Processing, Social Learning, and Constructivism); knowledge construction and cognitive processing.
- Identify / provide examples of how theories of human development are reflected in classroom practices.
- Describe/identify applications of psychology to education: lesson design and instructional sequences, strategies, and activities.
- Describe/identify applications of psychology to education: classroom environment, student engagement, family involvement/Communication
Why Choose National University?
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.