Emphasizes eligibility for special education that includes assessment of preschool children, diagnosis of disabling conditions, remediation and IEP development. The course provides an introduction to the assessment of low incidence populations such as Visually Impaired, Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Physically Impaired, Traumatic Brain Injured and Dual Sensory Impaired.
- Conduct assessments of preschool and elementary age children for severe disabilities such as: severe mental retardation, autism, severe visual and/or auditory deficits, cerebral palsy and development delays.
- Appraise various alternative assessment instruments regarding their appropriateness for multicultural and language minority students.
- Assess alternative assessment instruments appropriate for multicultural and language minority students.
- Interpret a variety of alternative assessment instruments appropriate for multicultural and language minority students.
- Integrate information to develop comprehensive reports of assessment including a differential diagnosis of handicapping conditions, recommendations for interventions appropriate to inclusion options and strategies of improving academic and social performance.
- Construct and communicate effectively the results of the assessments including statement of handicapping condition, strategies of improving academic and social performance, IEP goals and objectives, and recommendations for teachers.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education