An exploration of the field of School Psychology and its suitability as a personal career choice. Emphasis is on an understanding of the multiple roles of school psychologists that includes counseling, coordination and collaboration. Field experiences, using interviews and observations, will give students insight into their future vocations. Emphasis is placed on oral and written communication, and observational skills. Practicum experience is required. Grading is by S or U only.
- Receive an orientation from the University librarian and understand the use of available research materials with a follow-up assignment.
- Discuss the relevance of choosing an Action Research project versus a formal Thesis.
- Discuss literature related to "Consumerism in Education."
- Receive from the Credential Department the steps (checklist) required for obtaining School Psychology state credential and establish their credential packet.
- Receive formal admission into the PPS program.
- Understand the program requirements and meet their faculty advisor.
- Understand the history and foundation, and current standards of the school psychology profession.
- Understand the structure and requirements of the PPS program at National University; connection of program coursework to the final portfolio project, Practicum/Internship requirements, and the final competency exam (ETS Praxis Exam- School Psychology).
- Understand the merit of professional associations associated with the School Psychology profession; professional related standards (NASP Standards).
- Understand the importance of APA (American Psychological Association) writing style; writing rubrics.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education