This course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to generate and evaluate research relevant to various areas of professional education. The work of the educator will be emphasized throughout the course as students produce a major research and writing project. Students prepare a research proposal in their area of practice, obtain Institutional review Board (IRB) approval, conduct the study and prepare an oral and written report. Course include relevant aspects of professional writing while remaining focused on the practical needs of educators who wish to join the larger professional community in their field of specialty. This class is scheduled for two months one day a week and at the end of that time a grade of ‘IP’ will be posted then the maximum length of time is 10 additional months. Grading is H, S, or U only.
- Identify an educational issue that impacts school counselors and which may be addressed via an action research project.
- Identify, interpret, analyze, and synthesize research-based educational literature associated with a selected topic of interest.
- Design and implement an action research project related to the selected topic.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data from action research intervention.
- Contextually evaluate the impact of research findings on the impact of education and school counseling.
- Produce and present a written report of each step of the action research project.
- Create and conduct an effective verbal presentation of the completed action research project.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the written language appropriately using the current American Psychological Association’s (APA) style and format.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education