An exploration of the field of school counseling and its suitability as a personal career choice. Emphasis is on an understanding of the multiple roles of school counselors including counseling, cross cultural counseling, coordination, collaboration, crisis intervention, conflict resolution, and advocacy. Field experiences, using interviews and observations will give candidates insight into their future vocation. Emphasis is placed on oral, written communication, and observational skills. Practicum experience is required. Grading is S or U only.
- Summarize the PPS Credentialing process and the structure requirements of the Masters in Educational Counseling at National University.
- Compare appropriate observational skills through interviews, observations, and shadowing.
- Analyze the variety of student support programs that work together at the school site.
- Appraise the history and foundation, and current standards of the school counseling profession.
- Argue the merit of school counseling professional associations and their role in advocacy.
- Demonstrate graduate level skills in communication both verbally and in writing.
- Appraise the ACA & ASCA ethical standards.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education