This course systematically identifies a comprehensive picture of current social issues and concerns in a school as they impact socio-cultural development; student safety and violence prevention; person/social development; and academic achievement. Issues include but are not limited to poverty, achievement motivation, dropouts, homelessness, teen pregnancy and parenting, eating disorders, obsesity, child abuse, substance abuse, physical and mental abuse, gang violence, bullying, HIV/AIDS, and suicide. Practicum experience is required.
- Develop a comprehensive picture of current social issues and concerns in the schools.
- Evaluate the potential psychological and educational impact of social problems on the development of students based on current research.
- Construct potential solutions to common and diversity elements that affect personal social and academic success.
- Articulate candidate’s personal values and biases and their impact on services provided to diverse student populations.
- Evaluate a comprehensive intervention plan to increase school safety and a positive school climate.
- Synthesize systematic approaches within the school setting for addressing small or large group crisis affecting the school community.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education