An analysis of current issues manifested by major legislation and the significant health and hygiene regulations faced by health safety managers, the course covers safety program models including workers compensation insurance, fire protection, product liability, and other casualty risks involved in safety and health programs.
- Analyze the contemporary issues related to safety and health program management and the effect these issues have on the business and work environment.
- Research current case studies regarding federal environmental law, and recommend corrective action and methods of compliance.
- Establish methods and techniques for a safety program manager to acquire technical information and keep abreast of the latest developments in the discipline.
- Develop methods of compliance with new laws relating to safety, health, and environmental regulation by comparing the different techniques employed by industry and government agencies.
- Evaluate an accident prevention program, demonstrating knowledge of the accident prevention and causation models. Develop practical accident prevention and loss control methods to reduce the loss exposure and liability for worker’s compensation, property damage, and other casualty losses.
- Compare and contrast the methods of measuring safety and health performance of the organization, the departments, and the industry. Measure performance of management and first-line supervisors.
- Participate in a team project evaluating the safety performance, insurance costs, management attitudes and motivation toward losses using federal and state agency inspection records.
- In consonance with "Writing Across the Curriculum" prepare a term paper which outlines the eight parts of a comprehensive hazard communication program.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management