An examination of U.S. accounting principles, the course emphasizes the analysis and interpretation of financial statements for management and investment purposes. Students evaluate financial statements of actual publicly traded firms. Course material is applicable to credit policy, investment analysis, and other operating and financial policy decisions.
- Compare and contrast the components of and the interrelationship between the three basic financial statements: income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flow.
- Differentiate between the cash and accrual concepts of accounting.
- Use the cash flow statement to examine a firm’s liquidity position and determine the firm’s operating cash flow.
- Evaluate the criteria for revenue and expense recognition and utilize this information to better determine the firm’s operating performance.
- Estimate the effect of alternative inventory accounting methods on cash flow, income, and financial ratios.
- Analyze alternative inventory accounting methods impact the financial statements of firms in the manufacturing and retail sectors.
- Evaluate the concept of deferred taxes and its’ implication for financial analysis.
- Compare and contrast the financial statement effects of using operating leases versus using capital leases.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management