An analysis of the risk management problems in the business enterprise, the course emphasizes methodology for risk analysis, insurance principles and practices, techniques for risk and loss control, insurance underwriting, and rating. It also includes product liability, property damage, and bodily injury in business situations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the role of insurance differs between gambling and bonding.
- Evaluate different types of risk and distinguish differences that exist between them.
- Evaluate the various methods used to identify risk.
- Analyze insurable risks versus those that are not insurable.
- Formulate why the study of risk management is important and how to manage risk.
- Develop and implement a risk management program.
- Evaluate the major responsibilities of risk managers and how their departments should be organized.
- Compare and contrast risk management and other management functions.
- Develop a plan that a business might be able to use to transfer through some non-insurance device.
- Apply the insurance method to design a risk management program for a business.
- Analyze the fundamentals of insurance contracts.
- Formulate how an insured might lose his/her coverage because of concealment, misrepresentation, or breach of warranty.
- Appraise the extent to which insurance contracts are standardized and the ways in which this standardization is accomplished.
- Compare and contrast the types of property that are exposed to losses.
- Compare and contrast direct property losses and indirect property losses.
- Evaluate the benefits and costs of loss control.
- Compare and contrast risk management and capital budgeting.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management