Examination of concepts of accounting for business combinations, with emphasis on the consolidation and financial reporting of parent/subsidiary relationships. Accounting for the formation, operation, and liquidation of partnerships, foreign currency translation and hedging, segment reporting, and international financial reporting standards.
- Apply latest accounting to acquisitions through the ‘equity method and purchase method.’
- Evaluate and apply the generally-accepted accounting principles relating to business combinations under the ‘parent company theory’ and the ‘entity theory,’ including upstream and downstream inventory effects.
- Analyze information for consolidated financial statements under the purchase method, including incomplete equity method and cost method of parent company accounting.
- Apply inter-company profit transactions for assets, bonds, as well as indirect, mutual holdings, and joint venture.
- Apply appropriate accounting principles relating to the translation of foreign currency for consolidated financial statements of multinational companies, including foreign currency derivatives and hedging activities.
- Analyze partnership-related transactions and properly account for the formation, operations, termination (admission of new partners or withdrawal of partners), and the liquidation of a partnership.
- Apply proper accounting treatment for corporate liquidation, legal reorganization and debt restructurings for financial distressed corporations.
- Evaluate worldwide accounting diversity and compare U.S.GAAP against International Financial Reporting Standards in the major areas.
- Research and evaluate latest accounting issues and topics for better translation of business transactions from GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management