An introduction to the theory and practice of federal income taxation of individuals, including income, deductions, exemptions, credits, capital gains, depreciation, and deferred compensation plans. As a course requirement, students prepare Form 1040 income tax returns.
- Describe and apply the rules for determining exemption and filing status of individual.
- Identify allowable deductions and distinguish between those that can be used to reduce adjusted gross income and those that are deducted from adjusted gross income.
- Correctly use the types of deductions that may be allowed as itemized deductions, and calculate appropriate limits, where applicable.
- Analyze capital transactions, identify those for which gain or loss is recognized, and apply capital loss rules, including carry-forward provisions, when applicable.
- Describe and apply Passive Activity Loss rules.
- Apply rules regarding depreciation of tangible capital assets.
- Describe and apply the rules relating to Alternative Minimum Tax 8.Prepare a moderately complex Form 1040 individual income tax return and supporting schedules.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management