An examination of advanced concepts of accounting for business combinations, with emphasis on the consolidation of parent/subsidiary balance sheet and income statement reporting. It also covers accounting for the formation, operation, and liquidation of partnerships, as well as special reporting requirements for multinational entities.
- Explain and apply the ‘equity method of accounting’ to appropriate acquisitions.
- Describe and apply the generally-accepted accounting principles relating to business combinations under the ‘parent company theory’ and the ‘entity theory.’
- Analyze information for consolidated financial statements under the purchase method, including adjustment and elimination of inter-company profits, losses, and other inter-company transactions.
- Apply appropriate accounting principles relating to the translation of foreign currency in the preparation of consolidated financial statements of multinational companies.
- Analyze partnership-related transactions and properly account for the formation, operations, termination (admission of new partners or withdrawal of partners), and the liquidation of a partnership.
- Apply proper accounting treatment for legal reorganization and liquidation of a business entity.
- Understand worldwide accounting diversity and the internationalization of accounting standards.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management