If you’d like to work in the fields of education, law enforcement, probation, social work, or other areas with juveniles, consider a Master of Science in Juvenile Justice degree. The juvenile justice courses are designed to develop your skills in applying practical and effective strategies and solutions for problems facing troubled or challenged juveniles. Throughout the MSJJ program, you’ll learn to integrate theory with practice and develop plans to address the complex issues and challenges of the juvenile justice system. You’ll learn to conduct in-depth research, write behavior plans, and develop a beneficial network of cooperating agencies. Working closely with juveniles, you’ll also learn to conduct interviews and provide guidance to youth with disabilities who have a delinquent and neglectful background.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop professional level written, verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Assess critical thinking skills when designing interventions, functional behavioral assessments, and behavior management plans to mitigate youth behavioral problems.
- Create a reference guide of professionals from interacting and coordinating agencies to network with.
- Analyze the Individuals with Disabilities and Education Act, federal, and state law requirements in non-public and residential placements.
- Design interventions and best practices for students in the juvenile justice system that are culturally relevant.
- Design strategies for working with individuals with emotional/behavior problems.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies