Dr. Kenneth Christopher is Associate Professor and Academic Program Director for the B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management at National University. He was previously Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and a member of the Criminal Justice faculty at Park University in Parkville, Missouri. He has held teaching positions at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida and St. Thomas University, Miami, Florida.
Dr. Christopher completed his Doctor of Public Administration at Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He holds a Master of Public Administration from Florida International University and a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice from the University of Dayton. He is a graduate of the Administrative Officers Management Program at North Carolina State University and the Executive Contemporary Education for Leadership Program at the University of Miami.
Prior to his work in higher education, Dr. Christopher served 26 years in law enforcement, completing service as a Captain with the Miami-Dade Police Department and as Chief of Seaport Security Enforcement of the Port of Miami, Florida. His police experience includes patrol, media relations, team policing, contract management, forfeiture and auctions of seized property, planning and research, training, special events, transportation and seaport security.
Dr. Christopher has worked with the U.S. Maritime Administration and the Organization of American States in the Inter-American Port Security Training Programs in Barbados and Jamaica. He has consulted on and developed educational programs and curricula in seaport security, criminal justice administration, security administration, terrorism and domestic preparedness, community safety, police management and organizational behavior. He was a member of a faculty-led, US State Department-funded interdisciplinary Peace Journalism/Anti-Terrorism education program in Uganda. His research interests include cooperative leadership strategies for port security management and convergence of business and security technologies for seaports. He is producing a series of educational podcasts for homeland security interviewing subject matter experts in information technology, security design, corporate and transportation security. He is the author of the book Port Security Management published by CRC Press.
Dr. Christopher is a Certified Protection Professional by the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)-International and is an invited speaker at national and international conferences on maritime and homeland security, including SecurePort, the Institute for Defense and Government Advancement, Maritime Security Outlook, the MacDonnell Group and ASIS-International’s Asia-Pacific Security Conference.
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Society of Industrial Security
- Christopher, K. (2010). Kansas Business and Industry Forum Stresses the Value of Private Sector-Government Partnerships in Disaster Response and Recovery. ASIS International Greater Kansas City Newsletter,, 9: 6.
- Christopher, K. (n.d.). Port Security Management, 2nd Ed,.
- Christopher, K. (2015). Criminal Justice Education Competencies for a Global Perspective. Criminology and Criminal Justice for the Curious: Why Study Criminology and Criminal Justice? Kishor Vaidya, Ed..
- Christopher, K. (2018). . Recommendations from the Front: CAEL Assessors share best practices in portfolio assessment. Panel Discussant. Conference presented at the Council of Adult and Experiential Learning, International Conference, Cleveland, OH.
- Christopher, K. (2018). Jobs and Internships Special Interest Group. Panel Discussant. Conference presented at the 20th Annual Emergency Management Higher Education Symposium, Federal Emergency Management Agency, National Emergency Training Center, Emmitsburg, MD.
- Christopher, K. (2018). Internships for Nontraditional Students: Blended Homeland Security and Emergency Management Programs. Paper presented at the 20th Annual Emergency Management Higher Education Symposium, Federal Emergency Management Agency, National Emergency Training Center, Emmitsburg, MD.
- Christopher, K. (2018). Automate General Research Information Collection With These Two Free Tools. Roundtable Discussant. Conference presented at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Christopher, K. (2018). Resources and Techniques for Engaging Students in Asynchronous Criminal Justice and Security Education. Roundtable Discussant. Conference presented at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
College: School of Professional Studies
Department: Professional Studies
Academic Program Director: Bachelor of Science Major in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Torrey Pines South Campus