By observation and interview the student will get an understanding of the roles of the teacher in an incarceration facility, mental health facility, alternative education setting or a non-public school. They will examine the differences and similarities between the missions and goals of interacting and coordinating agencies.
- Evaluate the relationship of special education within the various coordinating agencies.
- Evaluate the responsibilities of the legal, judicial and educational systems serving individuals with emotional/behavioral disorders and other special education categories, placed in out of school facilities.
- Distinguish between the principles of normalization and the concepts of least restrictive environment for individuals who are incarcerated or in mental health facilities.
- Analyze the educational implications of various exceptionalities as presented in incarcerated or hospitalized students, or students out of mainstream schools.
- Evaluate what the effects an exceptional condition(s) can have on an individual’s life in the juvenile justice system.
- Analyze functional classroom designs for individuals with emotional/behavior disorders.
- Compare and contrast screening, pre-referral, referral, and classification procedures in various settings.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies