This course provides an examination of terrorism and homeland security from a communication perspective. It explores how terrorism is essentially a message. Through case studies and speeches, it explores how terrorists and governments communicate messages through actions and discourse. The course also discusses how political media, the mass media and global media outlets support communicating messages.
- Evaluate the various communications methods in supporting terrorism messages.
- Appraise the relationship between the media and terrorism.
- Analyze how global communication networks and the internet are used to support terrorist messaging.
- Examine how language and rhetoric can be used to influence messaging.
- Analyze how crisis communication can influence terrorism messages.
- Argue ethical issues with respect to the media in reporting on terrorism and terrorist activities.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies