This course is designed to provide the student with a basic understanding of the role of the peace officer in American society. The course will examine the steps in selecting candidates for the position of police officer, the complexity of the enforcement requirement, the challenges that face peace officers each day, the limitations placed on peace officers by all three branches of government at both the state and federal levels.
- Explain the historical background of policing in England and the U.S.
- Describe and Explain the difference between public and private security in the U.S.
- Explain the significance of police culture, personality, and stress as it impacts the quality of law enforcement in the U.S.
- Describe and explain the importance of diversity in law enforcement.
- Describe and explain police operations.
- Describe and explain the importance of thorough and ethical investigations as it relates to policing.
- Describe and explain the significance of police-community relations to successful policing.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies