Course covers approaches to documentary filmmaking including development and production requirements unique to documentary production as well as the aesthetic and stylistic considerations. Students engage in analysis of documentary films from an historical perspective and independent research to develop their own approach to a documentary subject suitable for distribution. Course must be completed prior to taking MDC 692 for students making a short documentary thesis film.
- Identify and evaluate orally and in writing the approaches to and stylistic forms of documentary films.
- Integrate documentary film theory and aesthetics into a producing plan for short documentary film project on a specific subject.
- Evaluate relevant sources of information for research material that supports the development of a documentary project.
- Evaluate public and private funding sources and requirements for producing a short documentary film.
- Evaluate the festival distribution strategies required for releasing a short documentary film.
- Produce a production proposal for a documentary short subject film suitable for presentation to funders and distributors.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies