Provides an introduction to copy editing and includes the roles and responsibilities of a copy editor, which go beyond being able to spot grammatical and spelling errors in copy. Students learn how a copy editor approaches a piece, and how to edit that piece for clarity, sense, and organization, as well as for spelling, grammar, style, legal concerns, and fairness. Students will edit copy and write headlines and captions, while learning the basics of layout and design.
- Exhibit proficiency in editing for story organization, logic, fairness, accuracy, style, grammar, and spelling.
- Formulate strategies for questioning reporters and editors in the process of fact-checking, copy editing, and improving stories.
- Correct spelling and grammar in the editing process.
- Ensure consistency and the use of correct style within a publication.
- Define libel law and describe the role copy editors play as the news organization’s last line of defense against libel suits.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies