Introduction to commercial diving and diving science, the various types of commercial diving, the diver’s role in the industry, and safety policies principles and procedures related to safe diving operations.
- Explain the role of a Commercial diver in the commercial diving industry both inland and offshore.
- Explain the various modes of diving: Surface Supply, SCUBA, Air Diving, Mixed Gas Diving, Bell Diving, and Saturation Diving.
- Explain the regulations that control commercial diving: Coast Guard (USCG), Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA and Cal OSHA), Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) and their application.
- Describe safety requirements and regulations.
- Define the types of fires and methods used to fight fires on offshore rigs and vessels.
- Describe the procedures for working on vessels and offshore.
- Explain the problems caused by use of drugs (prescribed and illegal) and alcohol by divers.
- Identify, and describe the function of components of surface supplied diving helmets, umbilicals, and air systems utilized by the diving industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to make a surface supply air dive and tend a diver using line pull signals.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Division of Extended Learning
“Through the Extended Learning programs, our students hone skills that make them more valuable in a competitive workplace and professionally relevant.”Division of Extended Learning