A course about organizations and their behavior. The study of social structure is central to sociology and the study of formal organizations is fundamental to the study of contemporary society. Much of our educational and working lives are spent within and passing between organizations. This course foregrounds the key issues in the sociology of organizations. The focus of the course is the major theoretical approaches and debates in organizational theory, an interdisciplinary field that is primarily grounded in sociology but that also has roots and practitioners in economics, political science, and management studies
- Demonstrate in written work knowledge of the dominant theories in organizational sociology, including ideas from the classics but with an emphasis on modern research.
- Explain the major ideas in organizational theory.
- Evaluate the strengths and weakness of each theory.
- Analyze the variety of organizations that affect their lives and shape world events.
- Assess bureaucratic work organizations and their variants.
- Describe in written and oral presentations how organizations are internally structured.
- Explain how the structure of organizations affects the work experience and self-definition of individuals.
- Identify and describe how organizations relate to their environments.
- Evaluate the relationship between e-organizations and managing human beings and the role of organizational culture and teamwork.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences