Employs a critical sociological approach to deviance and social control in contemporary society. The topics to be considered include: the origins and functions of deviance in society; the institutional production and categorization of deviance; the impact of deviance on personal and social identity; deviant careers; and deviance and social change. We will consider several major theoretical perspectives on deviance within sociology, we will make use of current data on crime and current research in sociological and criminological journals and web sites, and we will examine portrayals of deviance and social control in literature, film and popular culture.
- Explain what constitutes deviance, including behaviors, attitudes and beliefs, physical conditions, and affiliations.
- Interpret and explain the role of cultural norms and values in establishing difference across lines of race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Identify and describe theoretical explanations of the origins and effects of deviance.
- Evaluate the utility of various theoretical perspectives in explaining the prevalence of deviance in society.
- Contextualize social and legal responses to deviance (mental illness, criminal behavior, variant sexualities, drug abuse, delinquency, etc.) in a historical framework.
- Define deviance and demonstrate knowledge of how deviance, social control and socialization have been defined over time and across cultures
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences