Social Issues in Health and Illness
Employs ‘the sociological imagination’ to explore issues of health, illness and medical practice. It examines the social contexts of physical and mental health, illness and medical care and gives prominence to the debates and contrasting perspectives which characterize the field of medical sociology. Exploring the social, environmental, and occupational factors in health and disease, the development of health professions and the health care workforce, doctor patient relationships, the structure and processes of health care organizations, health care and social change, it is designed for students interested in the organization and analysis of health care in the U.S.
- Identify and describe the basic concepts relating to practitioner-patient relationships.
- Explain theoretical perspectives on health and illness behavior.
- Analyze the structure of the U.S. health care industry.
- Integrate and describe the role of individual, biological and social factors in health and illness.
- Analyze broad trends in health, illness and health care delivery system.
- Analyze basic quantitative research on health and illness.
- Evaluate how cultures, institutions, and organizations influence individual beliefs and behaviors and patterns of social interaction and ultimately affect the physical and mental health of individuals and groups.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences