A study of selected foreign states from among industrial, developing, and under developing states, and their development, organization, administration, and politics; introduces students to analytical methods used to compare political systems and governments; explores several issues, including democratization, economic development, political culture and political change.
- Discuss and assess the impact of globalization on state sovereignty.
- Evaluate the relationship between political culture and political institutions in the policies examined.
- Identify and rank the factors that are conducive to democratization.
- Evaluate the theory of modernization and its application in third world countries.
- Critically analyze aspects of dependency theory.
- Assess the role of women, race and ethnicity in politics.
- Compare the structural and institutional elements of different political systems.
- Identify major states in East Asia and compare their political systems.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences