A broad overview of the field of political science including main issues and central questions studies by political scientists and methods used to gain knowledge about politics. A survey course designed to acquaint the student with selective concepts, theories, and of political process.
- Describe and compare the basic concepts, principles, and terms common to meaningful political inquiry.
- Critically analyze rules or generalizations about the nature, process, and relationships among various political phenomena.
- Describe the major sub-fields of the discipline of political science and compare the most important methodologies employed by political scientists in the observation and critical analysis of political phenomena.
- Describe and critically analyze the values and ideologies of selected political system with special emphasis on democratic theory and the United States.
- Compare and contrast American political values and constitutional principles, both stated and actual, to the values and primary principles of other political systems.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences