Critical examination of major themes and topics as well as advanced research in the current scholarly literature in the field of world history. Emphasizes the reconceptualizations needed to research and write world history. Subject areas may include, but are not limited to, political, economic, intellectual, cultural, social, and environmental history.
- Organize the major historical themes and issues in world history as presented and debated in the scholarly literature.
- Analyze the specific characteristics of, and similarities and differences between, works of major world historians.
- Assess the theoretical and empirical approaches these historians take to the study of world history.
- Participate in the scholarly discussion of a topic in world history on the Listserv H-WORLD.
- Evaluate the theoretical and empirical claims that the historians on the Listserv make with regard to world history.
- Compose a professional commentary that integrates course materials and library resources into a position paper that assesses the historians’ Listserv discussion.
- Produce a book review of publishable quality on a recent world history monograph.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences