Seminar in History and Theory
Critical examination of the major methodological and philosophical foundations of modern historical research and writing.
- Appraise the growth and transformation of the history profession in the last hundred and fifty years.
- Assess the theoretical and methodological foundations of contemporary historical practices.
- Apply appropriate analytical terms when evaluating historical theories and methods.
- Establish the central issues and problems that a historical theory addresses.
- Analyze the relationship between fact, method, theory, and interpretation in historical accounts.
- Pose questions amenable to historical study and research.
- Situate and evaluate their historical thinking in relation to relevant historiography.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences