Examines religious, political and philosophical innovations of classical period (500 B.C.E. to 500 C. E.) in Mediterranean region, China, and India; rise and fall of Greek, Roman, Han, Mauryan and Gupta empires; rise of important regional states like Meroand#xeb;, Angkor, Teotihuacand?n, and Maya city-states in Mesoamerica.
- Identify the peoples who inhabited different regions of the classical world.
- Distinguish the classical civilizations of Mesoamerica and the reasons for their rise and fall.
- Outline the unification and disintegration of major empires (Athenian, Roman, Parthian, Mauryan, Qin, and Han).
- Explain the social, cultural, military, political, and economic systems of classical Athens, Rome, China, and India.
- Account for the rise and diffusion of major world religions and philosophies (Platonism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Daoism, and Zoroastrianism).
- Describe the seminal nature of classical civilizations.
- Assess the importance of the Silk Road to the classical world.
- Critically assess primary sources for information, bias, values, and tone.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences