An examination of the dynamic convergence of economic, geopolitical and racial factors that contributed to the most explosive conflict in U.S. history. Focuses on the consequences of the war for subsequent American historical development.
- Understand the issue of slavery and race relations in the united states on the eve of the civil war and discuss how slavery in the united states compared with slavery in Latin America and in the ancient world.
- Understand the rift created over the entrance of California into the union as a free state.
- Understand the birth of the republican party and the rise of Abraham Lincoln as the leader of a new political coalition.
- Understand the immediate cause of the Civil War and why different generations of Americans view the war differently.
- Understand the economic differences that existed between the North and the South and evaluate their impact upon the outcome of the war.
- Understand the differences between the reconstruction solution offered by the president and the one offered by congress.
- Understand the fate of the African-Americans during reconstruction and the impact of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences