An overview from the Ming Dynasty to the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949. These six centuries witnessed challenges that radically altered the nation. We will examine key components of this process and its influence on Chinese society, economy, culture, politics and foreign relations.
- Identify key diplomatic developments of the nineteenth and twentieth-centuries and their impact on domestic China.
- Discuss the role of Western religions in the transformation of Chinese politics and society.
- Evaluate how the movement of people and ideas altered China’s perceptions of the outside world and vice versa.
- Explain the nature of Sino-Japanese relations and its evolution from the late 1800s to 1945.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how the arts reflected the political climate within China.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party leadership.
- Identify the leadership roles of Sun Yat-sen, Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Zedong and the political theories they advocated.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences