Survey of major themes, issues, and personalities in African history since 1500. Topics include: kingdoms and empires, population movements, spread of Islam, slave trade era, abolition of slave trade, European imperialism, impact of colonialism, religious and cultural movements, nationalism and pan-Africanism, ethnicity and identity in modern Africa.
- Identify the major nations of the African Continent, their geographic location, ethnic, linguistic and religious groups, their political and economic structures, and regional variations in gender stratification.
- Analyze the reasons for popular upheavals in 20th century Africa with reference to land ownership, distribution of political power, and the impact of colonialism and the post-colonial period.
- Describe different social movements in Africa, including independence, religious, and feminist movements and situate African within a global context.
- Explain the role and legacy of colonialism in different nations of Africa.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically, including the ability to: a. Define an issue or problem. b. Develop hypotheses and supporting arguments. c. Gather relevant information from appropriate sources. d. Assess the reliability, currency, and objectivity of evidence. e. Develop and express appropriate responses to issues or problems. f. Reassess their responses to issues on the basis of new information. g. Assess the influence of mass media on public opinion.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences