Discusses how distinctive cultures, economies and societies of the world developed from prehistoric times to the European conquest of the Americas (ca. 1500 C.E.). Explores issues of gender, class, personal identity, war, religion, urban life, and ecology pertaining to the history of civilizations in Asia, Africa,the Americas, and Europe.
- Explain the importance of the agricultural and urban revolutions in world history.
- Clarify the role of gender and class in the development of the first cities.
- Differentiate the civilizations of ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and India.
- Illustrate how the world’s major religions regarded old age, the family, and salvation.
- Explain classical Greek, Roman, and Indian conceptions of the self.
- Describe urban life in ancient Greece, Rome, and India.
- Distinguish the classical Greek, Roman, and Indian conceptions of the self and love.
- Analyze the linkage between war and social structure in classical Rome and China.
- Assess the place of violence, love, and devotion in Islam and medieval Christianity.
- Distinguish medieval Christian, Indian, and Japanese conceptions of love.
- Describe urban life in medieval Europe, Islam, and China.
- Explain the contribution of Christianity and science to Western views of nature.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences