This elective is open to non-science majors. This trans-disciplinary course is a comprehensive team science approach to learning the basic concepts of genetic anthropology, human evolution, migration and cultural diversity, genetics and human variation, and epidemiology of disease. It will make use of computer technology. Students will participate in virtual learning environments and be introduced to interdisciplinary case studies. Teams of students will engage in investigative data search and analysis. Patterns of human migration will be examined within the context of cultural diversity, language, and the impact of environment on disease.
- identify and describe the effects of population migration on cultural diversity .
- actively engage in scientific inquiry based on a case study approach and problem centric research
- conduct a data search that includes understanding the principles of data mining and data analysis
- describe the genetic factors that contribute to ethnicity
- identify specific genes that are identified with disease within a specific population
- identify current challenges in disease patterns and treatments associated with specific populations.
- compare historical events to current events and draw inferences from recent patterns of migration
Specific to the course, students must be able to apply the method of scientific inquiry in assigned case studies; participate in data mining activities and data analysis activities and write reports based on research on current challenges in disease patterns and treatments associated with specific populations.
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences